To make your own Mystery Cards:
1. Fold a piece of cardstock in half width-wise.
2. On one side only, cut a 3-1/8x 1/4" slot in the lower half.
3. Tape the edges of the cardstock closed.
4. Cut 3 x 8-1/2" cards out of another sheet of cardstock.
5. On the cards, write simple, phonetically-correct words, letters widely spaced apart. You might add a small illustration at the end to solve the "mystery."
To use, insert the cards into the slot and pull the edge out. Your child can read one letter at a time, guessing at the full word as he or she reads more.