Monday, August 23, 2010

Rocks and the rock cycle

This interactive diagram from BBC may be helpful as we study the three types of rock this week, and I found these animated videos even more interesting. Here's a diagram of the rock cycle (am I the only one who didn't know there was a rock cycle?) for those of you with older...or more interested...children. (As Julie once told me, all I ever needed to know I learned when I taught my son kindergarten.)



But these hands-on activities get points from me for being a) easy, b) doable with what I have at home, c) somewhat memorable, and d) involving chocolate (bet you'll click on it now!).

Here are a few pictures of how the rocks are used for all those visual learners out there.

And kudos to this three-part exercise that has some interesting photos and an online rock collection (my favorite kind). [Note: This text is copied from an Australian website.]

Types of rocks: Rocks are not all the same. (Part 1 of a Learning Object) Find out about rock types and see examples
http://www.learner.org/interactives/rockcycle/types.html

Start your rock collection. (Part 2 of a Learning Object) Click on a rock in the landscape, learn about it and add it to your collection.
http://www.learner.org/interactives/rockcycle/types2.html

Identify rock types. (Part 3 of a Learning Object) See if you can recognize rock characteristics and types. You have 6 minutes to complete this activity.
http://www.learner.org/interactives/rockcycle/types3.html



Can't get enough of rocks? You might after you look at all these links!

Rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment