Friday, August 26, 2011

Books We're Loving

The Many Rides Of Paul RevereThe Many Rides of Paul Revere is children's book that gives a broad sweep of Paul's life - from before birth to his death.  I read this aloud in short segments in the span of a couple weeks.  The are pictures on every other page (or so), and the language is (probably) easy enough for a third grader to read himself.  But, after reading the first chapter aloud, I wanted to read the rest!

Paul Revere & the World He Lived InAfter reading the children's book, my husband recommended Paul Revere and the World He Lived In, a very interesting biography. (and just $0.45 from Amazon)
Skippyjon Jones







Skippyjon Jones is a silly siamese cat who thinks he is (or wants to be a chihuahua).  There's alliteration, rhyme, Spanish interspersed, audience participation and a bit of mischief in each book.  The best part?  I found some at the library this week that had CDs included! (read by the author).  Very cute books indeed.  You will find yourself chuckling aloud.
Skippyjon Jones, Class ActionSkippyjon Jones and the Big BonesSkippyjon Jones, Lost in Spice

Boxes for KatjeBecause we focused on the Netherlands this week, I found Boxes for Katje at the library.  Katje is a Dutch girl who received boxes from an American girl after World War Two.  I will just warn you, grab a tissue when you sit down to read it.  At times, the generosity and gratitude was overwhelming to me.  I think we will read this book again - especially nearer to the consumer driven holiday of Christmas.

-Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment